Friday, September 30, 2005

You can't judge a book by it's cover

I have recently started getting the girls books at the library. They are finally getting past the stage where they rip every page, and are actually enjoying the storyline. It has been fun up until I picked And Tango Makes Three. The cover was very cute with 2 penguins and a baby penguin. I thought to myself great...the girls love animal stories.

For some reason I had not read the story to them yet. So while I was folding clothing and putting it away in their drawers I stopped to read it.

The story is about a little penguin who has a different family composed of two daddies who are in love! According to the book this actually happened in Central Park Zoo in NYC. The zookeeper noticed the two males and gave them an egg to care for and hatch. Awww what a sweet story...NOT! Please, I do not want to have this progaganda pushed on my kids in the form of an innocent book.

I am going to be much more vigilant in what I choose to bring into my home. Thank God I did not read this to my children. So tell me...who are your favorite authors for children's books?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Don and Audrey Wood. Anything by them is well written and beautifully illustrated. We read a lot of Sandra Boynton, too.

Marilyn said...

My children love Mercer Mayer books.

http://coe.west.asu.edu/students/dcorley/authors/Mayer.htm

Their favorite is JUST A NAP